Monday, July 23, 2007

Eating and Nature

Last night's dinner was completely healthy and completely a hit. I laid out 4 peices of tin-foil and sprayed the bottom of each. Placed a bundle of fresh green beans mixed with yellow pepper,onion and garlic down, then put a peice of salmon on top of that. Sprinkled the whole thing with a spice blend I made and lemon juice, then wrapped each one up into a little bundle. I then cooked them for about 25-30 minutes in the oven. I served it with a green spinach salad that had tomatoes in it from my own plants. The kids and Joe loved it. Joe liked it so much he said we need to start eating fish at least 2x a week.

Lunch today will be turkey sandwiches on whole wheat bread. Carrots and pineapple on the side. Not the healthiest, but I do have to use up what I have in the house, I can't just throw food away.

For dinner we'll have broiled chicken with some spices, roasted brussel sprouts and squash with tomatoes.

I finished reading "Twinkie, Deconstructed" and now have moved on to "Last Child In The Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder" by Richard Louv. I've only so far read the introduction, but I'm already feeling guilty. Guilty that my children don't get outside more, that I don't let them roam freely and examine nature more. Sure, we've collected leaves, played with wooly worms and collected fireflys. But, that's such a little bit and only at certain times a year. I want my children to grow up REALLY appreciating nature and the beauty that God has made for us to enjoy. It's really in that still quietness of nature that you can really hear God. If my children (and I) bombard our senses all day with electronic noise and never take the time out to sit in the quiet and listen to the birds chirp, will we ever hear God? Will we even sense that he is real? We won't make the connection between creation and the creator if we can't sit still and listen and sense it.

"Reducing that deficit--healing the broken bond between our young and nature--is in our self-interest, not only because aesthetics or juistice demands it, but also because our mental, physical and spiritual health depends upon it." pg 3

He's right. I feel more at peace when I'm outside. My head clears and my soul breathes. I don't get that same feeling indoors. I believe nature is a natural relaxant. I believe the doctors should write less prescriptions for anti-depressants and blood pressure medicines and start writing prescriptions for daily walks in the woods or sitting on your back deck to watch the sun set and the fireflies take flight. My children will never know that peace until I get them outside. They will never know the wonder and awe of nature unless I encourage it. It's alot to think about and alot of responsiblity.

So, I think I'm really going to enjoy this book and am looking forward to reading more..perhaps I'll even take it out on the front porch.

No comments: