Saturday, July 21, 2007

So what does a mom with a little quiet time do?

So, what does a mom with quiet alone time do?

Makes a cup of coffee and settles down on the internet, of course! My husband and 2 oldest kids have gone camping and it's just me and the twins. It's almost 730 and they're in bed now. The house is clean, except a few strewn toys, which always stay out reminding me of the little loves that put them there.

So here I sit with nothing much really to say. I'm reading a new book which you can see at the bottom.. "Twinkie, Deconstructed". It's very informative about the additives that are in our everyday food. Most of them start off as additives in other things like tires..and we put that into our bodies! Wow, modern science in action.

I'm really trying to cut down on the processed foods we eat. After reading "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schossler and "The Omnivore's Dilemna" by Michael Pollan, I've become a bit more aware of what we're eating. There are so many hormones and anti-biotics pumped into our meat that's been linked with the early menses of our teenage girls. I wish we could afford to eat free range beef, chicken and pork, but at $6.00 a pound that will have to wait until we win the lottery..which in turn would require going out and buying said ticket. But, we're eating a bit more veggies from the local farmer's market (If y'all haven't been downtown..PLEASE go,support the local farmers, it's awesome..espically on Saturday morning) and less packaged foods. I'm making homemade mac-n-cheese, soups, potatoes, etc. Everything that can be homemade I'm going to do it. No more cancer causing Red Dye 40, obesity causing HFCS, bleach (yes they use bleach to whiten our flour!) tremendous amounts of salt or artifical flavors. I really want my family to eat real food, not fake boxed genetically engineered versions of it.
So, that's what I'm striving for this week. Fresh, whole foods. Of course, it's cheaper to eat a diet rich in white flours and pastas..mac-n-cheese, bread, gravy, tuna helper, spaghetti, etc. But, at what cost? The only purpose it's serving, other than the tiny bit of nutrition, is to raise our blood sugar and plunge us into an endless cycle that results in more fat. Obesity isn't cheaper, the cost of insulin from diabetes, the constant outgrown clothes, the hospital bills when we finally have heart attacks will far outweigh (heh) the cost of eating good food.

I'm willing to give up some stuff in order to be able to eat better. I've cut out our satelitte tv (it really was dumbing down the kids and zapping my attention as well), and I'm going to stop the bi-weekly dining out sessions. All together that will easily save $160 a month.$160 extra on top of the $200 I'm already spending a month. $360 just for food to feed 6. I think I can do it. I think I can feed us on wholesome, fresh, alive food..not boxed, dead food.

My husband doesn't know it yet, but we're about to embark on a whole new way of eating. Him and I both are serious sugar and carb addicts. This will. Be. Hard. But, at the moment it's something I feel strongly about and I'm willing to act and change.

1 comment:

My Blog said...

I get my grass fed, organic beef at $2.49 a pound and just found a source for $2.00 a pound! It is possible, just have to look around. Try localharvest.org or .com, not sure. Or eatwild.org or .com. It is possible. Believe me, I have been on WIC, and I know poor, but sometimes I found that you could budget it to spend less than you would think it would by going local.