Thursday, August 23, 2007

2-week Poverty Living

Basically it comes down to, it's mid-month we have $250 in the bank and $1000 in bills to pay at the end of the month. DH gets 2 more paychecks that should equal $760 which will give us $1010. Talk about close. The $760 reflects what's left after we leave $20 out for groceries and $40 for DH's gas for work. I have a half-tank now in the van and we won't be going anywhere and gas won't be needed for it. So I've been working on our biggest problem for the next 2 weeks..food. I took inventory of all the food we had in the pantry/freezer. I then sat down and made a menu for the next 2 weeks. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. We probably won't be stuffed, but we'll have enough to nourish our bodies. I'm having to make things stretch alot for 6 of us. So here's the menu plan in a nutshell.

Breakfasts (rotating list)
  • Oatmeal
  • Cereal
  • Pancakes
  • Scrambled eggs & toast
  • PB&J's

Lunches (rotating list)

  • Grilled cheese
  • Bolonga sandwiches
  • Homemade mac-n-cheese
  • Corn pudding
  • Broccoli cheese rice
  • Veggie soup
  • Fried taters and cornbread
  • Baked taters
  • PB&J's

Dinners

  • 2 meals of spaghetti with garlic biscuits
  • Tuna helper, broccoli
  • Chicken pot pie
  • 2 meals of homemade biscuits and gravy
  • Baked bean, ground turkey rice bake, green beans
  • Tilapia, green beans
  • Canned chili mixed with mac-n-cheese, carrots
  • Italian sausage & onions with fried taters
  • Shepard's pie
  • Italian chicken & rice, brussel sprouts
  • Succotash

Snacks/desserts

  • Pineapple upside down cake
  • Brownies
  • Various cookies
  • Pudding/jello stash (I have about 12 boxes total)

My shopping list on Friday to compliment what I had in my pantry to make up this menu:

  • 4 loaves bread
  • 10 pd potatoes
  • 3lb onions
  • American cheese
  • Bolonga
  • 2 tomato sauce
  • 1 spaghetti sauce
  • 2 corn muffin mix
  • 2 cans tuna
  • 1 yellow cake mix

The shopping list will be about $10-12 at Aldi. I'll save the rest of the $20 for odds and ends for the next week. I do get WIC, so that will supply milk, eggs and juice.

It's going to be really hard. It's going to require that I stay home all week next week. I'm not used to doing that. But, then again, that's probably what got us into this mess. Too much running around, shopping and eating out. But, that's got to stop and I'm going to stop it.

1 comment:

Leeann said...

Kudos to you. I should really do the same thing, just to clear out the pantry and stuff.
Have a good weekend.
Leeann
niccofive.blogspot.com