Monday, August 6, 2007

Nourshing mind and body

I've never really liked Wal-Mart. They are so big and impersonal. They run littler stores out of buisness. They pay their workers very cheaply. So I've decided to wean myself off Wal-Mart. This week I will not set foot in there. In fact, I'm trying to stay out of the stores at all this week. Our money is getting tight and I have no need for anything..sure there are wants, but right now, no needs. So, in loo of Wal-Mart, I will be going to the smaller grocery stores.. Kroger, Aldi, Food Giant, Super Valu, Peck's (family owned small market) and of course the Farmer's Market. It will be hard. Wal-Mart always does have some low prices. But, I can usually find comparable or cheaper prices at Aldi..Wal-Mart is just alot closer. But, I think it will be worth it if I don't feel guilty every time I walk into a store.

On to food. Last night I made a wonderful soup from our Farmer's Market bounty. I sauteed half an onion with garlic. I added a diced pepper and zucchini. Let that cook for a bit then added some lima beans, tomatoes, chicken stock and water. I let it boil for awhile then added a few broked spaghetti peices and some fresh basil. Everyone loved it. The kids ate 2 bowls! It was very yummy, very cheap and very fresh.

No comments: