Saturday, August 4, 2007

Vegetable bounty

Today I went to the Farmer's Market downtown on the river. It was so nice. It was farmer appreciation day and they gave out free canvas bags! I found one farmer who had all kinds of weird squash, eggplants and tomatoes. I ended up walking away with 4 bell peppers, 4 sweet cubanelle peppers, 7 small eggplants, green beans, fresh basil and a small seedless watermelon..all for $3.10! Can you believe it? You just can't get prices like that at a supermarket. Better yet, I bought the produce from the person who grew it. I knew right where it came from. Local and fresh.

So what was tonight's dinner you ask from this fare? Eggplant parmesean and sauteed green beans with peppers of course. It was soooo good. I bought some fresh mozzerella to use in the parmesean, it made a world of difference. The kids all liked it and my husband liked it. I'm always proud when my husband likes a new recipe because he's so picky. And, for him to like a vegetable too was just outstanding.

No comments: