Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesday

Wow, it seems like I'm only posting on KTT now. I haven't made a post in a loong time besides this.

But, anyway, here's my tip.

I tend to buy ground beef on sale in bulk. Last purchase was 30 pounds. I always take care of my ground beef the day I buy it.

I make meatballs, cook and freeze. I make a meatloaf, cook and freeze. I also boil about 15 pounds and break it up into crumbles. I put it on the stove top in a big pan (sometimes 2), cover with water, bring to a boil and let boil for about 5 minutes. I then drain it into a big bowl (don't pour that grease off into the sink!) and let the crumbles cool. I break them up and put them into 1 1/2pd ziploc bags. I add chopped onions, peppers and taco seasoning to a few bags and mix it for tacos. I add mushrooms, onions and cream of mushroom soup to a few for stroganoff. I add peppers, onions, canned tomatoes and chili powder to a few for chili starter, and lastly I add onions, pepppers and mushroom and canned tomatoes to a few for spaghetti. I also leave a few bags plain for various things like shepard's pie.

It's really a good time saver for me. Head over to Tammy's for more Kitchen Tip Tuesday.

10 comments:

Kim said...

I personally haven't tried this but I know someone who does this - she also saves the cooking water, sets it in the fridge to harden the grease, takes that off and then uses the rest as beef stock! Cool huh? I need to try it - does the cooked beef look odd because it is not browned? Or do you brown it later when you plan to use it?

Mrs. Mordecai said...

That sounds great! I boil chicken a lot and save the broth, but I never thought to do ground beef. Boiling is so much easier than frying!

BarbaraLee said...

Doesn't your mushroom soup get yucky? Do you have seasoning mixes that you make or do you buy it? I'm trying to find a mix that matches the rice a roni stuff and spag. sauce.

Michelle said...

I've never thought of saving the water as broth..stellar idea!
It doesn't look funny, it's more grey than brown though, I guess I'm just used to it. I don't brown it, I just use it as is. It's usually got some kind of sauce on it to cover the color.

My mushroom soup doesn't get yucky. I just thaw the bag, plop it into a skillet to heat through and then add some sour cream for the stroganoff.

I usually use store bought mixes like for the tacos. I haven't tried any rice-a-roni, we don't like the rice pasta mix.

Sharon said...

Great idea! I had never thought about boiling it. I have though of bulk cooking gbeef, but hadn't yet done it because I didn't want to have to fry it all up, Thanks!

Julie Stiles Mills said...

Michelle,

I do something similar with ground beef. Like my "onion" post today, I cook ground beef in bulk and freeze in Ziploc bags too!

In my attempt to eat healthy, I buy 97% lean (on sale) and then, after it's cooked (fried) I pour it into a colandar in the sink and spray it with super hot water to remove even more fat. I've been doing it for years and never had the "grease down the sink" think cause me a problem. I was planning on doing a Kitchen Tip Tuesday post on it in the future.

Thanks for visiting my blog!
http://pragmaticcompendium.wordpress.com/

Erin said...

I've done this many times and my DH actually likes the texture of boiled hamburger alot. It is very handy to have pre-cooked hamburger in the freezer for last minute meals.

Erin

rachel said...

This sounds like a good idea! I'll have to try it. What I have been doing is putting it in crockpots (I have three) and letting it cook in there for a couple hours.
I actually use ground turkey a lot, its often cheaper and we like it fine. And of course its lower in fat.

Tania said...

I love this tip!! I can't wait to try it next time I buy ground beef in bulk. Thanks!

said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.