Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What I've learned about making biscuits


1. Use buttermilk or clabbered milk (you make clabbered milk by adding 1tbsp lemon juice to a measuring cup then adding enough milk to make 1c and let it set for 5 minutes.)


2. Don't overmix or add more flour to the too sticky dough. It will come together nicely when you kneed and pat it out.


3. Be gentle when kneeding and patting out, it will make a more tender biscuit.


4. Finally, don't twist the biscuit cutter when cutting out biscuits. This seals off the edges and doesn't allow them to rise properly. So just cut down with your cutter and lift out, no twisting.

My recipe:
2c flour
4tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
4 TBSP shortening
1c butter milk or clabbered milk

Mix the flour, powder, soda and salt with your fingers. Add the shortening and work it in until you get a coarse meal, again I use my hands. Add the milk and mix it until it just comes together. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead gently until it comes together and is less sticky. Pat out to about 1 inch thickness and cut out, making sure to stay close together and do not twist that cutter! Place on greased baking sheet and brush gently with melted butter. Bake until golden brown (don't know how long, I always loose track of time, just watch them like I do!)

For more Kitchen Tips, head to Tammy's!

2 comments:

Sonshine said...

Yummy!

Thanks for stopping by and for your suggestions! Hey if you get a chance let me know how those pancakes turn out for you! :) We love them here.

Kirstin said...

I'm going to try this. I love biscuits but they're just never "just right".